Tuesday, April 29, 2008

More on noise, Data mining/analysis

Today I moved into some data analysis from the experiment last Friday. The BGO scintillator signals are all proportional to the BC-400 signal, which is well calibrated and believed by everyone else (more or less).

I realized in the process that the noise levels look so large on my amplifiers because the actual signals are only a few hundredths to tenths of a volt where the design voltage goes up to 10V. Good thing I didn't waste too many days chasing that down.

The original 90R0 amplifier has a slow response compared to the others, which probably has something to do with the card since I tried swapping out the ICs for new ones with no change.

Also, Eric showed me how to process data from a number of other diagnostics including:
  • inversion of the soft x-ray array data
  • charge exchange recombination spectroscopy
  • SPRED spectroscopy
  • MDS spectrometer
  • efit viewer
As I read about these diagnostics and their data processing tools, I've been updating the GA wiki where possible with some convenient tips for getting people like myself started with using the diagnostic. Some of the pages are old and not wiki, but I think they could be just copied to the wiki to make them more easily updatable. I'm starting to think it would be nice to familiarize myself with the other available diagnostics so I know what I have at hand for experiments.

In other news, I sent an email yesterday to George and Craig about going to a runaway electron workshop being held at the ITER site, and haven't heard back from either of them yet. Hopefully they're not so against the idea that they just blackholed it or something.

No comments: