Saturday, May 11, 2013

4GB memory upgrade for the Acer Aspire One D270 (ok, 3GB working so far...)

The measly 1GB my AOD270 shipped with had be balking, so I ordered a 4GB upgrade, slotted it in this afternoon, and am now running a full 4GB in this bad boy. ;-)

I mostly followed the instructional video on youtube for the AOD255 with the below exceptions. Everything through popping out the keyboard was exactly as advertised in the video. Once I had it up, taking care not to pull out the delicate ribbon cable, I removed the five screws labelled 'door' (as opposed to the four indicated in the video) which are circled in the photo below.


I then pressed firmly down on the slot box labelled 'door release' to drop the bottom panel (arrow below).




I accidentally broke one of the small clips at the back of the panel (i.e. battery side) which does not release by pressing down. To avoid breaking these three clips, you just need to pop down the clips on the other three sides (i.e. front, left, and right), then slide the panel toward the front of the laptop. They're not really clips as much as slide brackets or something I guess, and I photographed the broken one below.



After that it's pretty straight forward again. The only thing I would add is that to remove the old memory module, you just need to lightly press the two side spring clips off to the side of the chip from the end near the small indent in the chip as photographed below. The chip will then just pop up and you can pull it out. Inserting the new chip just requires pressing it into the slot then down to secure the clips.
 

At reboot the BIOS indicates a full 4GB chip installed, but some operating systems will only use 3GB since the Intel Atom is only a 32 bit processor.


To enable the full 4GB memory you need to use an operating system with physical address extension (PAE) (e.g. Ubuntu linux 12.10 or later). Apparently PAE is enabled by default in the Ubuntu 13.04 kernel which I'm running, but it doesn't appear to be working for me, since I only show 3GB of used memory:
$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 3091772 kB...
The Intel Atom N2600 supports PAE according to:

$ grep -i PAE /proc/cpuinfo
24:flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm arat dtherm

... and my installed kernel definitely has PAE enabled:

$ grep -i PAE /boot/config-3.8.0-19-generic
451:CONFIG_X86_PAE=y

I tried installing the pae kernel just in case that would maybe do something, and while the package installed, it looks like it didn't change matters.
sudo apt-get install linux-generic-pae linux-headers-generic-pae
I checked dmesg for PAE but didn't see anything. Maybe I'll return to this another day, but I think I've had enough for tonight.

Well OK, for now it looks like I'm only getting 3 of my 4GB, but that at least beats the prior 1GB. Hooray!

UPDATE: I even flashed the BIOS from v1.06 to v1.09 and I'm still only getting 3GB. Shiz.

12 comments:

FireSword said...

I am having the same problem. Tried to patch Windows 7 but it did not work this time. Perhaps it is because of the architecture Atom , etc. Is it possible that Atom does not support PAE?

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure that the problem is either in the BIOS or somewhere else in the hardware. It seems weird since even 32bit hardware should be able to handle 4GB, so there's probably a solution out there somewhere. Let me know if you find it!

PS. If you wake up one morning and half of the screen is all vertical grey lines, send it in for warranty repair ASAP. The warranty is only for 1yr and there is a known issue with the display biffing.

FireSword said...

Thanks for the information. I have a video issue when windows 7 asks me if I am sure to start a particular program. As usual the desktop dims, but in my Acer, the whole desktop is black and it is not vissible. I published a workaround in my fireswordblog.blogspot.com.

Unknown said...

Hi there, any DDR3 sodimm 4 GB pc3-8500 (1066 mhz) will work? I cant find any crucial module around, only crucial, kingston, samsung...

David said...

There is more to PAE than just the CPU chip and BIOS supporting it. From memory, the chipset also needs to support PAE, and the video adapter can cause problems. Read the Wikipedia article on the 3GB memory limit, it's a good explanation. You're lucky to have an Aspire One that takes 4GB. All that I've seen have a 2GB limit according to ark.intel.com

IP-Guru said...

I think the issue is with stock version of windows being Win 7 starter because teh atom processor in these models is actually a dual core 64 bit processor (I was running 64 bit fedora for some time)

try a 64 bit Linux (boot form live usb if you don't want to replace windows & see what happens).
Thanks for the instructions I am now going to try this for myself (originally I was only going to get 2 gb)

Unknown said...

How's the GPU performance?

q said...

"How's the GPU performance?"

Bad. Intel Atom N2600 and N2800 processors have integrated third party graphic processors. There are no proper linux-based drivers for these. You're stuck with Windows.

Jorgemán said...

I broke one of those clips as well. I think that it was will trying to close the bottom panel (I was more afraid while opening it and so, more careful).

The whole procedure was easier than expected, except for the fact that the BIOS doesn't detect all the memory (I installed a 2GB stick), just 1GB. I am sieving the net trying to know if I should update the BIOS, but I haven't found anything pointing to that being the solution.

Just venting some frustration.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sunny said...

Will acer aspire one d270 use ram 4gb? Is that will work or not?

Jorgemán said...

Four years ago I said:

"The whole procedure was easier than expected, except for the fact that the BIOS doesn't detect all the memory (I installed a 2GB stick), just 1GB. I am sieving the net trying to know if I should update the BIOS, but I haven't found anything pointing to that being the solution."

Yes, updating the BIOS was the solution. After doing so, the whole 2GB where detected.